Thursday, July 7, 2016

A Needed Reminder

Published to Tumblr February 7, 2016

I needed this reminder today. Sometimes it feels like all I am is a diagnoses of some sort, especially when I have a week with multiple doctor appointments. I sit there in the cold, clinical room and they do the rundown: White female, age 43, single (I have no idea why this is ever relevant), schizophrenia with both positive and negative symptoms, clinical depression, severe anxiety disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, trichotillomania, chronic pain disorder (possible fibromyalgia syndrome), progressive osteoarthritis, recurring autoimmune reactions (possible systemic lupus erythematosus), Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Raynaud’s disease, polycystic ovary syndrome, and psoriasis. Then they look at me and ask “so, what is your issue today?” ALL OF IT! 
At least when I see my therapist she focuses on me. She never mentions any illness or diagnoses unless I do first. She sees ME. We all need that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment